Spruce Pine officially became a town on February 5, 1907, by an act of the North Carolina General Assembly. The corporate limits extended one mile in all directions from the South and Western Railroad (Clinchfield). Benjamin Harrison would be mayor, as appointed by the General Assembly. W.Mc.Wilson, L.A. Berry, T.A. English, would be commissioners, and Weldon Buchanan, marshall. There has been a bit of controversy surrounding the date. The town was reincorporated in 1913, and for political purposes, this is the date that some see as the official date. But, as they say, the proof is written in black and white. Read for yourself in these documents from the North Carolina General Assembly. Historically, Spruce Pine officially became a town on February 5, 1907. Pictured below is “The First Family” of Spruce Pine in 1907.