Test Your Knowledge of Mitchell County and Win!
MCHS is pleased to announce its first annual HISTORY BEE for young students of Mitchell County history!
Competition Information & Categories
The History Bee will be held Thursday, April 6, 2017 at 7:00 p.m. in the Mitchell County Historic Courthouse in Bakersville. Admission to the event will be $5 (individual) and $10 (for a family). Proceeds benefit the Historical Society and its mission to preserve the history and heritage of Mitchell County.
There will be two categories of competition:
- Students Under Age 15
- Students Ages 15-18
Winners of each category will be awarded cash prizes:
- $500 for First Place
- $300 for Second Place
- $200 for Third Place
There is no fee to enter the competition, but students must complete and submit a registration form by March 31, 2017 to be eligible to compete.
All questions in the Bee will be based on Elizabeth Hunter’s Voices of the Valley, published in 2011 on the 150th anniversary of the formation of Mitchell County. This volume is available in school and public libraries around Mitchell County or for purchase at the MCHS office in Bakersville or through our online store.
Start studying now so you’ll be ready to answer questions in April.
For more information, contact our office or ask your history teacher! And study up for pride and prizes!
Here are the rules for the History Bee:
- The History Bee will begin at 7:00 p.m., with the younger division, contestants under 15, competing first, and the older division, 15-18, going second.
- All questions will be based on Voices of the Valley by Elizabeth Hunter.
- All questions are multiple choice, with 4 answer options.
- The competition will continue until one individual in each category is the last to answer a question correctly. That person will win first place, with a prize of $500. while the first runner-up wins second place and a prize of $300 and the second runner up wins third place and a prize of $200.
- Questions and the 4 potential answers will be read for contestants by various individuals, including local elected officials.
- There will be a panel of 3 judges whose ruling on the validity of contestant answers is final.
- Any contestant who receives any type of assistance during the History Bee will be disqualified.
- Contestants will have a maximum time of 10 seconds in which to begin their answer to avoid a wrong-answer ruling.
- Contestants may request, only one time, that a question be repeated, and they will have 10 seconds from the end of the question to begin their answer.
Register for the 2017 History Bee
To participate in the competition, please download and complete the following application. It can be returned to a student’s history teacher, dropped off at the MCHS Office in the Historic Courthouse in Bakersville during regular office hours, or mailed in:
Mitchell County Historical Society, P.O. Box 651, Bakersville, NC 28705
Entries should be submitted (or postmarked) by March 31, 2017.
MCHS reserves the right to reject applications received after March 31.
Need Assistance with the Registration Form?
If you have problems accessing the form, please fill out our Contact Form online and someone will be in touch with to help.
Feel free to contact us or call the MCHS at (828) 688-4371 or (828) 385-0564.