The Spruce Pine Golf Course had its beginnings prior to World War II, when a nine-hole-course was built on what was then part of the S.T. Henry Dairy Farm at Grassy Creek. This land was once used as a hunting ground by both the Cherokee and Catawba Indians before the earliest white settlers came to these high mountains. In October of 1780 this same land gave rest to hundreds of Overmountain Men before their trip off the Blue Ridge Escarpment to fight the British at Kings Mountain. At that time, it was part of a land grant that was called Catheys Plantation. An Asheville-Citizen newspaper article in early 1956 stated that great interest was shown in the community for a meeting to be held to build a new Spruce Pine Golf Course on the farm of Mr. and Mrs. S.T. Henry on Hwy 26 – the Marion Road, just out of Spruce Pine. Many civic leaders were instrumental in developing the golf course. Mr. S.A. Montague, D.O. Blevins, David Blevins, Edward Fortner, John Roth, C.M. Watson, Sam Phillips, Dale Banner, Claude Green, Elmer Cline, and Floyd Baker, along with others were influential in establishing the only course in the region at that time. The group leased the farm from the Henry family. Elmer Cline, of Cline Hosiery Mill, built the water lines. Sam Ashton, a retired greenskeeper, designed and helped build the greens. Lat Westall did the necessary grading with his bulldozer under the direction of Ross Taylor. Taylor was a professional golfer from Black Mountain. Unfortunately, Mr. S.T. Henry died before the course was completed. His daughter, Kimesia “Ki” Henry Bare, helped with the overall management of the course, which was situated on her family’s former dairy farm. With great anticipation, the first nine holes were opened for play on August 15, 1956. Nine new holes were added in 1962 that were designed by well-known course designer John Van Kleek. By the early 1970’s, the name was changed from the Spruce Pine Golf Course to the Grassy Creek Golf and Country Club.