Pictured above is the 1937 Spruce Pine Minerals Baseball Team from left to right are Shorty Burleson (manager), Paul Henline, Dobie McKinney, Alvin Jaynes, Harry Burleson, Lee Swann (Field captain), Max Daniels, Bruce Daniels, Fred Cook, Ken Clontz, and Bob Church.

Spruce Pine sported two “semi-pro” teams from the 1930’s through the 1950’s in both baseball and basketball. These teams provided entertainment for not only Spruce Pine, but for the surrounding counties as well. The teams played at Deyton Field, which is now Spruce Pine’s Riverside Park. Players were sponsored by local merchants including Dr. Pepper Bottling, Spruce Pine Pharmacy, Roggins (Robbins) Knitting Company, Spruce Pine Store Company, Harris Clay Company, Topliff Hotel, Minpro, Tri County Motor Company, Young’s Lunch, and Ed Fortner Insurance. The Spruce Pine Minerals Basketball Team played in the Spruce Pine Recreation Center which was located on the grounds of the Toe River Fair in Spruce Pine. These teams competed with similar teams from across Western North Carolina and East Tennessee.