Little Switzerland

Little Switzerland

This exotic European name was penned by Judge Heriot Clarkson of Charlotte who established this resort community near the Blue Ridge Parkway in 1910. The resemblance of the area to the mountains of Switzerland gave rise to the name. At an altitude of 3,500 feet above...
Grassy Creek

Grassy Creek

This Mitchell County community was named by the Greenlee Family who brought their livestock into the area from the lands below Gillespie Gap to graze in the lush, grassy pastureland alongside the creek. Thus the name “Grassy” Creek.
Ledger

Ledger

Located in central Mitchell County, this community is said to have been named by the Post Office Department because of a report submitted in a “ledger” by a local resident named Phillips. His record of mail sent and received in the community through another post...
Tipton Hill

Tipton Hill

This western Mitchell County community was named for Major Jonathon Tipton III. Major Jonathon became embroiled in a 1784 dispute over the new state of Franklin.  The dispute was actually between him and his older brother Colonel John Tipton and Colonel John Sevier,...
Hawk

Hawk

This Mitchell County community sits at the confluence of the right fork of Cane Creek and the left fork of Cane Creek, beneath Hawk Mountain. A post office here in the late 1800’s was known as Hawk Mine.  The name comes from the abundance of hawks in the...
Loafers Glory

Loafers Glory

This central Mitchell County community was named about 1890 by Jonathon Burleson because men delighted in whitling away their time on the porch of the local general store in the evenings and on Saturdays. One day when such a crowd had gathered, Burleson lazily...
WP Facebook Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com